The Vector Institute is seeking an experienced, multi-faceted, and detail-oriented Manager, Human Resources for a 12-15 month contract. Reporting to the Chief Operations Officer, the successful incumbent will lead in the oversight and execution of all Human Resources and personnel-related programs and services at the Vector Institute.
- Provide leadership and coaching support to members of the Human Resources team, overseeing the completion, quality, and legal compliance of all work undertaken within the HR function;
- In partnership with the HR team, lead in the development of annual HR strategic objectives and business plans designed to support broader organizational objectives and drive success in existing HR metrics;
- Acting as a business partner, provide valued advice to senior leaders, management, and employees on a broad range of HR topics;
- In partnership with the Chief Operations Officer, lead in the planning and execution of bi-annual meetings of the Human Resources and Compensation Committee;
- Act as the main point of contact for all employee relations inquiries ensuring concerns are addressed and resolved in a productive, sensitive, and timely fashion;
- Lead in the execution of the bi-annual employee engagement survey including survey administration, implementation, review and analysis; partner with key stakeholders to develop, apply, and evaluate meaningful plans of action in response to survey results;
- Maintain, review, and develop impactful human resources and other corporate policies as needed including the execution of an annual policy review exercise;
- Lead in all aspects of Vector’s compensation program:
- Maintain accurate and complete HR-related payroll records and reports (i.e., data related to new hires, status changes, salary changes, and time-off) and share these with the Finance team on a bi-weekly basis;
- Participate in an annual salary survey by compiling and providing Vector salary data and reviewing the results of the completed survey against current compensation practices to ensure appropriate, fair, and effective compensation plans are in place;
- Update and maintain Vector’s salary bands based on revised salary survey data and personnel changes within the organization (i.e., additions, departures, promotions, or role reclassifications); utilize salary band data to advise in hiring and other compensation decisions;
- Ensure compliance with government legislation, regulations, and directives affecting compensation and reporting requirements for a broader public sector organization;
- Benchmark salary trends each year and use this information to create a salary budget recommendation to be presented to Vector’s Board of Directors for approval; and,
- Maintain and update accurate records of budgetary spending throughout the year;
- Oversee the annual performance management and merit salary review cycle, ensuring all performance evaluations are completed in a timely fashion, and that corresponding compensation and coaching recommendations are appropriate, fair, and effective;
- Lead in the development of a performance improvement plan and formalized performance management process;
- In partnership with Vector’s senior leadership team, work to further define and promote Vector’s organizational culture, core competencies, and corporate values; and,
- Other related duties as assigned.
KEY SUCCESS MEASURES
- Feedback from Vector staff and other stakeholders validates that HR is viewed as approachable, trusted, respected, and for providing valued services, counsel and support;
- HR achieves all objectives for its annual and strategic HR business plans;
- Vector achieves its annual business plan objectives;
- Documentation and reports to the HRCC and to governments and regulatory and enforcement bodies and other stakeholders are timely, error-free, and complete; and,
- Staff reporting to the Manager are effectively managed with performance and developmental support provided.
PROFILE OF THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
- Individual is a graduate from an HR post-grad diploma programme or holds an undergraduate degree in Human Resource Management and has 5+ years of relevant HR management experience in complex, intellectually challenging, and fast-paced, high-growth organizations; CHRP/CHRL designation preferred;
- Individual has a demonstrated ability to manage a broad portfolio of HR responsibilities spanning all functional areas of Human Resources, including Talent Acquisition, Organizational Effectiveness, Organizational Design & Development, Compensation & Benefits, HR Services, and Employee Relations in an organized manner, while maintaining a calm, professional demeanour;
- Individual has highly effective client and candidate relationship management skills, working with stakeholders ranging from Board members to Executives to employees and world-class faculty and students;
- Individual is accurate and has highly developed and effective written and verbal communication skills;
- Individual is creative and adept at developing and implementing value-adding and risk-mitigating HR strategies; and,
- Individual is passionate about finding and successfully attracting great talent to Vector and in contributing to Vector’s success in achieving its mission and strategic objectives.
Please address applications (cover letter and resume) to Kailyn Burke, HR Generalist, using the link provided. Review of applications will begin August 27, 2020. We thank all applicants for their interest in this exciting opportunity and will be in touch with those whose qualifications most closely match with our needs.
The Vector Institute is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, racialized persons/visible minorities, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, and LGBTQ+ persons. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
Further, we are committed to fostering an environment of inclusivity and accessibility. If you require an accommodation at any point throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact email@example.com and we will happily work with you to meet your needs.