The Vector Institute is seeking a Corporate Communications and Media Relations Manager to join its Communications & Engagement Team. Reporting to the Director, Communications & Engagement, the Corporate Communications and Media Relations Manager will work with the communications team, program areas, and media contacts to provide timely and well-coordinated communications services. The incumbent in this role will develop materials, lead projects, and manage resources to build the Vector Institute’s profile as a world-class artificial intelligence (AI) institute. The successful candidate will be a self-starter, able to translate complex or ambiguous ideas into clear actionable priorities, and follow through with high quality deliverables in a fast-paced environment.
Project Management & Coordination
- Manage centralized calendar of Vector’s communications activities and related programs (i.e., research, industry relations, academic partnerships, health activities), ensuring communications efforts across Vector are planned in advance and coordinated to optimize visibility and engagement with target audiences.
- Project manage the development of major communications assets from time to time, including the redevelopment of the Vector Institute’s website and the production of documents including annual reports, strategic plans, and pitch books.
- Track and report on key communications performance metrics.
- Write and develop corporate communications materials such as newsletters, presentations, website content, FAQs, documents to meet corporate reporting requirements, key messages, executive speaking points, Q&A, and briefing notes on contentious issues.
- Manage the institute’s social media channels (Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube), including development of regular posts in collaboration with the communications team and various program areas, and respond promptly and appropriately to comments and questions online.
- Work with communications team members to evaluate and provide timely responses to external communications-related requests such as speaking opportunities or event sponsorship requests.
- Ensure consistency and accuracy of messaging and information at all times across all public-facing channels including website, presentations, speaking points, reports, announcements, etc.
- Working with internal stakeholders and the institute’s digital services agency, oversee the ongoing maintenance of Vector’s website, including the addition of new content and news items as needed.
- Enforce Vector’s brand guidelines, style guide, and use of the institute’s visual identity internally and externally; oversee and enforce appropriate use of sponsor and partner logos according to contracted terms.
Media Relations & Issues Management
- Evaluate, track, and respond to all incoming media requests and meet reporters’ deadlines.
- Maintain a media log and journalist database and support planning and execution of media outreach and pitches.
- Monitor media and proactively identify emerging communications opportunities and risks.
- From time to time, develop issues management strategies and notes including key messages, Q&A, and background information to prepare executives and spokespeople and mitigate reputational risk.
- Monitor, gather, and regularly distribute relevant media coverage to internal and external stakeholders in a timely manner.
- Proactively identify business needs, identifying suitable solution providers, develop business cases, run procurements (small or large, competitive or non-competitive), and manage contracts, including tracking usage and ensuring invoices are processed and paid according to contracted timelines
- Liaise between Vector teams and Vector’s marketing/digital/creative agency to develop scopes of work, project plans, and appropriate corresponding budgets to meet business needs.
- Adhere to all defined Vector Institute processes and policies, including sponsorship, accounting, procurement, and HR driven requirements.
- Undertake other duties as assigned.
- Vector’s public-facing presence is compelling, professional, consistent, and accurate across all channels at all times.
- Vector develops meaningful relationships with reporters resulting in well-placed media appearances.
- Emerging contentious issues and reputational risks are identified and mitigated proactively.
- Communications initiatives are well-planned and coordinated across programs and communications channels, optimizing effort for maximum visibility and engagement.
- All internal and external stakeholders are aware of and engaged in upcoming communications activities as necessary.
- Internal and external engagement increase as a result of planned communications activities, as measured by quantitative and qualitative metrics.
PROFILE OF IDEAL CANDIDATE
- A self-starter, able to translate complex or ambiguous ideas into clear actionable priorities and follow through with high quality deliverables on tight deadlines.
- A flexible problem solver, able to adapt quickly to evolving business needs in an entrepreneurial environment.
- At least one year of experience in media relations and issues management and 3-5 years of experience in corporate communications, marketing, or a related field.
- Undergraduate degree or higher.
- Experience developing project plans and managing project teams to produce high-quality deliverables on tight timelines.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including unparalleled attention to detail.
- Experience sourcing and managing personnel and vendors.
- Proficient with digital communications tools such as social media channels (Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube), MailChimp, Eventbrite, and content management systems is considered an asset.
- Proficiency in digital creative tools (e.g., content management systems, Adobe Creative Suite, photography and video production) is considered an asset.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with an ability to work successfully with various organizational levels, stakeholders, and people with diverse backgrounds and interests.
Please submit all materials using the link provided, addressed to Kailyn Burke, HR Generalist. Review of applications will begin November 15, 2019. We thank all applicants for their interest in this exciting opportunity and will be in touch with those whose qualifications most closely match with our needs.
The Vector Institute is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, racialized persons/visible minorities, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, and LGBTQ+ persons. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
Further, we are committed to fostering an environment of inclusivity and accessibility. If you require an accommodation at any point throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact Kailyn Burke at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will happily work with you to meet your needs.