The Vector Institute is seeking a Manager, Research Computing to join our growing team in Toronto as we continue the work of making Canada a center of expertise for AI in the world.
The incumbent will play a key role in the building and future maintenance of an artificial intelligence high-performance computing environment for world class research in machine learning. This role will primarily support scientific computing needs such as library support, compiling, hardware and software evolution etc.
The Manager, Research Computing will build and coach a highly-skilled team who will develop and maintain tools that support transparent growth and appropriate resource sharing policies, continuously review, adopt, and integrate new software systems specifically for AI applications, and facilitate the automated or direct administration of network and computing infrastructure, including switches, firewall, network security, printing, servers and workstations, backups, cloud computing, virtualization, and scripting.
This leadership position is expected to have a hands-on, problem-solving approach to managing and troubleshooting environments and a proven track record of integrating best-in-class software systems in budget and on time.
- Along with members of Vector’s senior management team, build, develop, and manage a team of information technology support personnel to execute Vector’s scientific computing objectives;
Oversee the planning, general execution and maintenance of complex computing arrangements, equipment and appropriate technical support necessary for research in deep learning, machine learning, and applied artificial intelligence research;
- Develop, operate, and maintain Vector’s scientific computing needs in accordance with Vector’s policies;
- Provide advice to Vector’s senior management team and serve as an expert point of contact within Vector on computing equipment and information technology;
- Work with the senior management team to advise on the communication of corporate strategy and reporting requirements in respect to computing equipment and information technology, including public reporting;
- Manage Vector’s computing equipment and information technology requirements within budget;
- Support researchers in all their computing needs; and
- Assist in general enterprise IT operations as required.
- Ensures the smooth functioning of the research systems, by undertaking troubleshooting, maintenance and installation tasks.
- Researchers and the enterprise operations feel supported in all other computing needs.
- Builds and maintains tools that facilitate the automated or direct administration of network and computing infrastructure, both locally and on the cloud.
PROFILE OF THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
- Graduate degree in computer science or engineering and a minimum of 10 years systems administration in a UNIX/Linux environment or complex computing environment
- More than 10 years of proven, hands-on experience: Linux/UNIX systems administration preferably in a research environment
- Proven managerial experience in a fast-paced, innovative environment
- Proven programming/scripting skills as it pertains to systems administration
- Experience in managing and troubleshooting environments using mostly open-source software
- Ability to work autonomously, prioritize, multi-task and problem solve in a fast-paced and stressful environment
- Effective conflict and dispute resolution skills
- Ability to be proactive, addressing potential problems before they occur
- Strong attention to detail
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Please address applications to Kailyn Burke, Assistant Talent Specialist. We thank all applicants for their interest in this exciting opportunity and will be in touch with those whose qualifications most closely match with our needs.
The Vector Institute is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, racialized persons/visible minorities, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, and LGBTQ+ persons. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
Further, we are committed to fostering an environment of inclusivity and accessibility. If you require an accommodation at any point throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact Kailyn Burke at email@example.com and we will happily work with you to meet your needs.