The Vector Institute is seeking a Junior Systems Administrator to join our growing team in Toronto. The incumbent in this role will participate in the building and future maintenance of a High-Performance Computing environment for world class research in Machine Learning.
The Junior Systems Administrator will build and maintain tools that facilitate the automated or direct administration of network and computing infrastructure, including switches, firewall, network security, printing, servers and workstations, cloud computing, virtualization, scripting, etc.
The Junior Systems Administrator will also support Vector’s public cloud-computing platforms such as AWS, Azure, and GCP.
The position is expected to have a hands-on, problem-solving approach to managing and troubleshooting environments.
- Support Linux-based scientific workstations, servers, and storage for computing;
- Develop and maintain solutions for automatic installation and configuration of OS;
- Troubleshoot and repair hardware and software installation;
- Install new scientific software, libraries, on servers, workstations, or laptops, in a variety of operating systems (Linux, Mac OS, Windows);
- Maintain network infrastructure and assist users;
- Maintain system security: firewall, IPS, system logs;
- Configure and administer cloud instances, including introducing best practices.
- Ensures the smooth functioning of the research systems, by undertaking troubleshooting, maintenance and installation tasks.
- Researchers and the enterprise operations feel supported in all other computing needs.
- Builds and maintains tools that facilitate the automated or direct administration of network and computing infrastructure, both locally and on the cloud.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND/OR EXPERIENCE
- Degree or Diploma in computer science or engineering or system administration, and experience working in a UNIX/Linux environment or complex computing environment;
- Proven programming/scripting skills as it pertains to systems administration;
- Managing and troubleshooting environments using mostly open-source software.
- Demonstrated record in learning new skills and technologies quickly.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize tasks and resolve problems in a timely manner;
- Ability to work autonomously, multi-task and work in a fast-paced and stressful environment;
- Be proactive, addressing potential problems before they occur;
- Be data-driven: collect and analyze data to support decision making;
- Strong attention to detail.