The Vector Institute is an independent not-for-profit corporation that is working with a broad set of stakeholders to advance artificial intelligence research and drive its application, adoption & commercialization across Canada.
The Vector Institute is seeking a Systems Administrator to join our growing team in Toronto as we continue the work of making Canada a centre of expertise for AI in the world. The incumbent in this role will participate in the building and future maintenance of a High-Performance Computing environment for world class research in Machine Learning. This role will primarily support scientific computing needs such as library support, compiling, hardware and software installation etc.
The Systems Administrator will also build and maintain tools that facilitate the automated or direct administration of network and computing infrastructure, including switches, firewall, network security, printing, servers and workstations, backups, cloud computing, virtualization, and scripting.
The position is expected to have a hands-on, problem-solving approach to managing and troubleshooting environments.
- Support Linux-based scientific workstations, servers, and storage for research computing;
- Develop and maintain solutions for automatic installation and configuration of OS;
- Assemble and/or install new parts in servers and workstations;
- Perform hardware and software system upgrades and maintenance;
- Troubleshoot and repair hardware and software installation;
- Install new scientific software, libraries, on servers, workstations, or laptops, in a variety of operating systems (Linux, Mac OS, Windows);
- Support researchers in all their computing needs;
- Maintain network infrastructure and assist users;
- Maintain system security: firewall, IPS, system logs;
- General enterprise IT operations.
PROFILE OF IDEAL CANDIDATE
- Degree or diploma in computer science or engineering or more than 3 years systems administration in a UNIX/Linux environment or complex computing environment;
- More than 3 years of proven, hands-on experience: Linux/UNIX systems administration preferably in a research environment;
- Proven programming/scripting skills as it pertains to systems administration;
- Managing and troubleshooting environments using mostly open-source software.
- Demonstrated ability to learn quickly;
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize tasks and resolve problems in a timely manner;
- Ability to work autonomously, multi-task and work in a fast-paced and stressful environment;
- Be proactive, addressing potential problems before they occur;
- Strong attention to detail;
- Problem-solving outlook;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.