Reporting to the Director, Marketing and Communications, the Manager, Communications and Public Relations will be responsible for providing the vision and strategic leadership to Vector’s communications and public relations initiatives. Working closely with the Vector leadership team and CEO, the Manager, Communications and Public Relations ensures the integration and coordination of stakeholder relations and activities in support of Vector’s reputation. They are also responsible for providing strategic advice and direction in relation to effective, efficient public relations and communications services.
Contract (12 months)
- Work with the Director of Marketing and Communications on the strategy, direction, and resources to employ a communications program that promotes a greater understanding of the work of Vector externally
- Develop and maintain a comprehensive integrated communication plan including public relations and stakeholder engagement working alongside our marketing and events team members to provide communications support on campaigns and programs
- Initiate and maintain communications policies and processes to ensure consistent messaging and compatibility with overall strategic agenda and messages
- Monitor emerging issues that may have significant implications or negative publicity for Vector and advise senior leadership and other key stakeholders as appropriate
- Develop strong relationships with key journalists in the field and represents Vector by building rapport and trust
- Develop a calendar of external editorial opportunities outlining upcoming features in national journals OR trade outlets that lend themselves to a story on Vector’s presence in the ecosystem
- Manage internal calendar of Vector’s communications activities and related programs (i.e., research, industry relations, academic partnerships, health activities), ensuring communications efforts across Vector are planned in advance and coordinated to optimize visibility and engagement with target audiences
- Project manage the development of major communications assets from time to time, including the redevelopment of the Vector Institute’s website and the production of documents including annual reports, strategic plans, and pitch books
Public Relations and Marketing Campaign support
- Oversee a range of public relations and communication activities designed to promote Vector, including, public event/podium support, presentations, special project management, collateral and background materials, and other public relations materials in all formats (print, digital, video etc.)
- Develop a series of ongoing story pitches, and pro-actively pitch to journals based on the editorial calendar, outlining interesting case studies from Vector’s work, applications of Vector’s thought-leadership/marketing campaigns and tie-ins to stories in the news, etc.
- Development and socialization of a Vector experts list for media to build relationships and encourage key reporters and media outlets to proactively come to Vector when working on relevant stories needing expert commentary/opinion
- Respond to all incoming media requests and meet reporters’ deadlines
- Monitor media and proactively identify emerging communications opportunities - implementing action plans to position Vector appropriately with media for response, comments or pitching of thought leadership
- From time to time, develop issues management strategies and notes including key messages, Q&A, and background information to prepare executives and spokespeople and mitigate reputational risk
KEY SUCCESS MEASURES
- Increased frequency of coverage of Vector in the media achieving metrics set out as a part of our Three-Year Strategy
- Vector develops meaningful relationships with reporters resulting in well-placed media appearances or podium opportunities
- Emerging contentious issues and reputational risks are identified and mitigated proactively
- Communications initiatives are well-planned and coordinated across programs and communications channels, optimizing effort for maximum visibility and engagement
- All internal and external stakeholders are aware of and engaged in upcoming communications activities as necessary
PROFILE OF THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
- Minimum 5-7 years of related experience in media relations and/or public relations
- University degree in a related field (e.g., Communications, Public Relations, Business Administration, Journalism), or equivalent combination of education and experience satisfactory to Vector
- Proven experience in managing a wide range of communication programs including media, marketing/thought leadership campaigns and public relations activities
- Broad and extensive public relations/communications experience in a multi-stakeholder environment, preferably in the public sector
- Experience managing and working with PR agencies
- Experience managing and coaching direct reports
- Understanding of the technology sector in Canada and interest in artificial intelligence
- A self-starter, able to translate complex or ambiguous ideas into clear actionable priorities and follow through with high quality deliverables on tight deadlines
- Experience developing project plans and managing project teams to produce high-quality deliverables on tight timelines
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including unparalleled attention to detail
- Ability to speak other languages is considered an asset
Please address applications (cover letter and resume) to Tolu Onajin, Human Resources Business Partner, using the link provided. Review of applications will begin October 1, 2021. We thank all applicants for their interest in this exciting opportunity and will be in touch with those whose qualifications most closely match with our needs.
Please note that all interviews are currently being held remotely due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.
At the Vector Institute we are committed to driving excellence and leadership in Canada’s knowledge, creation, and use of AI to foster economic growth and improve the lives of Canadians. We strive for greater inclusion in the programs and culture that we build by welcoming and encouraging applications from all qualified candidates. This includes but is not limited to applicants who are indigenous, LGBT2Q+, racialized persons/visible minorities, women, and people with disabilities.
If you require an accommodation at any point throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and we will happily work with you to meet your needs.