Technology is accelerating at an unprecedented rate, and more so in the field of artificial intelligence (AI). With this acceleration comes changes in the workforce, including new and exciting roles!
The role of Technical Education Specialist combines data science machine learning skills, technical education, business insights, and the social impact of AI. This interdisciplinary role requires an understanding of data science and machine learning methods and approaches, as well as a wholistic commitment to life-long-learning and professional development.
This role resides in the Professional Development (PD) team, which forms part of the broader the Industry Innovation team at Vector. The PD team takes the cutting-edge research in AI by Vector’s world-class researchers and packages it into programming that industry can absorb, through courses, workshops, talks, academic papers, blogs and events.
- Work with Vector Sponsors, the Director of Professional Development, and select third parties to determine needs, requirements, and content for courses that support the deployment and operationalization of AI.
- Design, build, implement, and continue to improve upon artificial intelligence and machine learning training programs for executives and non-technical stakeholders.
- Design, build, implement, and continue to improve upon machine learning training programs for data scientists and engineers related to data science and machine learning.
- Ensure learning and performance objectives are appropriate to the audience, and that the training materials meet the learning and performance objectives.
- Regularly undertake a variety of administrative tasks to help organize and facilitate the activities of the Professional Development (PD) team including:
- Manage educational programming events such as ESS and Business Insights;
- Manage registrations and user updates in the D2L Learning Management System;
- Management content in the D2L Learning Management System (e.g., generating, uploading lessons or slides);
- Manage attendance and all other completion requirements (including assignments and grades) for the courses and workshops in collaboration with various members of the course team (Manager, Instructors, and TAs);
- Assist with calls for speakers from Industry, including working with the Directors of Industry Innovation to ensure appropriate engagement from industry sponsors;
- Manage cross-functional relationships i.e., activities performed in collaboration with other teams inside Vector (e.g., Communications/Events, Academic Partnerships, Health, Research, etc.); and,
- Manage PD administrative documents and content.
- Overall data management and reporting for the Professional Development team including contact metrics for internal and external (including government) reporting purposes.
- Other relevant duties as assigned.
- The Industry Innovation team reaches its metrics and targets (i.e., renewal and sponsorship growth) as approved by Vector’s President & CEO and Board of Directors.
- The professional development education and upskilling program trains a minimum of 3,000 participants by 2023.
- Internal and external stakeholder feedback is such that Vector's Industry Innovation team provides high quality service, support, and impactful data/resources as required.
PROFILE OF THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
- You have, at minimum, a graduate degree in computer science, engineering, business administration, business analytics, statistics, mathematics or another relevant field
- You demonstrate interdisciplinary interests that include technical and non-technical fields such as engineering, business analytics, computer science, ethics, graphic design etc.
- You have a combination of domain expertise in machine learning and practical industry experience. This experience may include designing, planning, and delivering on professional development courses or other programs for technical and non-technical audiences
- You are an educator at heart who enjoys translating technical concepts to different audiences
- You have experience facilitating workshops for diverse audiences
- You have excellent organizational and management skills and are committed to forging relationships that will advance AI education and related activities
- You are a creative problem solver and enjoy collaborating within a small results-driven intrapreneurial environment
- You have impeccable verbal, presentation, and written English communication skills
- You have strong time management and organizational skills
- You are comfortable working with a diverse range of clients (e.g., leadership teams, operations staff, graduate students, and external partners), maintaining confidentiality and providing all with a trusted, respectful point of contact
- You are technology savvy and are open to learning and mastering new software
- You are motivated by continuous learning and the opportunity to make a difference and a real contribution to the AI ecosystem
- You possess a positive attitude, integrity, a sense of humour, and bring positive energy and outlook to a high performing team
Please address applications (cover letter and resume) to Kailyn Burke, Human Resources Business Partner, using the link provided. Review of applications will begin on August 26, 2021. We thank all applicants for their interest in this exciting opportunity and will be in touch with those whose qualifications most closely match with our needs.
Please note that all interviews are currently being held remotely due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.
At the Vector Institute we are committed to driving excellence and leadership in Canada’s knowledge, creation, and use of AI to foster economic growth and improve the lives of Canadians. We strive for greater inclusion in the programs and culture that we build by welcoming and encouraging applications from all qualified candidates. This includes but is not limited to applicants who are indigenous, LGBT2Q+, racialized persons/visible minorities, women, and people with disabilities.
If you require an accommodation at any point throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and we will happily work with you to meet your needs.